UO DIY: Spring It On
The first day of spring (which is today if you’re in the Northern hemisphere) is kind of like nature’s version of New Year’s Day. The trees are finally starting to blossom. The days are getting longer. The nights are getting warmer. It’s also the time of year that most people feel compelled to spring clean and start fresh, which is quite fitting considering the Vernal Equinox (as it’s formally called) represents new beginnings. It’s been celebrated as such since ancient times when our ancestors threw huge revelries to bless the freshly planted seeds for the coming year’s harvest. It’s also the end of the astrological year as Pisces moves into Aries, so in essence, nature and the cosmos are perfectly set-up to help you let go of the old and make space for the new. With that in mind, we created a simple ritual to make the most of this magical season. —Madeline Giles.
You Will Need
Journal and pen
1. Light candle, take a deep breath and relax. You might want to put on a playlist of songs that make you feel inspired. (I recommend Pure Bathing Culture for ultimate relaxation grooves.)
2. At the top of your journal page write a statement of positive intention. (I like: “I ask for this or something better for the highest good of all concerned.”) Then, begin writing what you would like to manifest. If you feel inspired to write in a list format, begin each sentence with: “I am easily finding myself _______.”
3. When you feel complete, reread the list – and do your best to imagine yourself engaging in these activities. If you feel like you can’t possibly imagine it, then go for a walk and come back to the ritual. It’s important to be in a peaceful and imaginative state when writing your intentions.
4. Imagine all your desires being soaked up into the two crystals in front of you. Know that you don’t have to “do” anything to make this happen. Simply setting the intention will allow it to happen.
5. Find a spot outside where you can safely dig a tiny hole. Bury one of the crystals in the ground. This is symbolic of surrendering your desires to the Earth, while metaphorically “planting” them.
6. Place the other crystal and your list of intentions next to your bed. Reread it at night before you go to sleep and every morning when you wake up. You can refine the list with new intentions as you wish.